NSR500Vs...
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
NSR250 Forums  -> NSR500 Discussion

#46:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am
    —
It will be. This isn't one of Si's builds.

#47:  Author: greggo Location: Melbourne, Australia Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 am
    —
Poor Si, if only he finished a bike this could be considered unfair...

...sorry Si. Can't resist a dig

#48:  Author: silikesguiness Location: chesterfield Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 pm
    —
Laughing dont worry i'm thick skinned or just plain thick Laughing

#49:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm
    —
Just about down to the bare bones now.

#50:  Author: dunkenb Location: hereford .uk Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:45 pm
    —
Those forks look enormous.....like scaffold poles! Cool

#51:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm
    —
The fork leg lower is 50mm dia.

#52:  Author: dunkenb Location: hereford .uk Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm
    —
The rest of the bike must be very compact! Think i need to do euro millions! Laughing

#53:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 am
    —
Found this online,

Ant West on the sister bike. I'll start rebuilding that one once the #21 bike is finished.

Australian teenager Ant West will continue racing a Honda V-Twin for the remainder of this year's 500cc motorcycle world championship, which resumes with the Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez on Sunday.
Dutch-based Dee Cee Racing has recruited West to ride the Honda for the remaining 14 races in the championship, following his creditable 14th place in his 500cc debut in the previous round at Welkom in South Africa on April 22.

The 19-year-old Gold Coast rider finished sixth in the 250cc world championship in 2000 and had originally planned to continue in the category this year on an Aprilia, but he missed the opening round at Suzuka in Japan on April 8 and there was no guarantee of a ride at Welkom.

In the circumstances he accepted a late offer to ride the Dee Cee Jeans Honda in the 500cc South African Grand Prix, and earned two world championship points despite not riding the machine until the opening practice session two days before the race.

"Racing the 500 in South Africa was a 'one-off' situation to see how things worked out, but the team were happy so now I'll be staying with them for the rest of the season," said West.

"Everything had been up in the air with the 250 ride, which was a bit unsettling, so now it's good to finally know what I'll be doing and to be able to concentrate on racing."

"Long-term I always wanted to get into the 500s, and there are some good mechanics in the Dee Cee Team to help me to make the best of this opportunity."

West said he was not daunted by the fact that he faced the prospect of racing a V-Twin that has approximately 60-horsepower less than the 16 four-cylinder works Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis in the 500cc class.

"Horsepower is always important, but the V-Twin I'm racing is lighter than the big V4s so on some of the tighter tracks my bike should be a good thing," said West.

"I've only raced the 500 once, and the first thing I noticed is you have to carry good corner speed with the V-Twin because if the revs drop you lose your momentum."

"Everything was new to me in South Africa, but the experience I got from practice and finishing the race will help me this weekend – I've just got to go out there and ride the wheels off it."

West has raced on the 4.4km Jerez circuit twice before in the 250cc championship, finishing 17th on a production-based Honda TSR250 in 1999 and fifth on a works Honda NSR250 12 months ago.

"Riding a 500 will be completely different to the 250, but at least I know my way around the track," said West. "On the 250 the front straight started and finished with first-gear corners – I won't know if it's the same on the 500 until practice starts."

Taken from MCNEWS

#54:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:13 pm
    —
Well after two trackdays and being ragged senseless by every man and his dog I decided I should pull the girl apart for a check up.

No need! Its taken everything in its stride. Ring lands had closed up a tad but that's normal and should be addressed around every 200 miles anyway. With almost 300 miles already everything still looks perfect.

Maybe still a little rich. The squish I think could stand being taken up a little but it's already running 0.6mm and I think going any less on a 68mm bore might be pushing it some.

Leaded race fuel I think is really helping. No problems with any of the parts manufactured. All in all, so far apart from the expense NX6 ownership isn't so bad.

#55:  Author: simono Location: West Midlands Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm
    —
Could i naively ask what ring land is?

#56:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm
    —
Its the part of the piston above and below (or between) the piston ring(s).

#57:  Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm
    —
An HRC image to help explain how the lands closing up can cause ring sticking.

#58:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:47 pm
    —
One of the main reasons people have problems with RS pistons, they must be relived regularly after breaking in to avoid problems.

#59:  Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm
    —
They should even be checking NSR pistons, but I bet the majority only ever do the rings after the piston has tried to fuse itself with the barrel! Wink

I don't know many that have changed a set of NSR piston rings when they were due!

#60:  Author: paul g Location: Cambridge, England Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:18 pm
    —
So when you say the ring land "closes up" is that actually the worn piston surface burring over the ring gaps?

NSR250 Forums  -> NSR500 Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
Page 4 of 5