300 kit pros and cons
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
NSR250 Forums  -> NSR300 Discussion

#46:  Author: StephenRC45 Location: Cornwall, England Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:08 am
    —
As I said, defeats the object of the kit.

#47:  Author: simono Location: West Midlands Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:49 pm
    —
Amazing debate .... facinating.

The depth of knowledge in here is unique for a forum, at least of the forums i usualy frequent.

The secrecy is also unique for a forum and whilst i understand that getting the best out of a two stroke on any given day for a guy like me who just wants to ride a fast two stroke is a massive learning curve in itself with just the carburation variables ... the depth of understanding of tuning the mechanics to the Apex of what can be acheived with these things is surely a secret that is no longer much of a saleable item or itellectual property? ... it s not as if you can make a seriously profitable living out of it anymore is it?

It's seems like it's more a passion which has cost losts of money during the learning curve ... riffler files, barrels, riffler files, barrels etc that has cost individuals thousands of invested hours and materials that gives it it's protected status.

You gotta love it aint ya.....

The simplest mechanical combustion chamber engine design ever ..... turns out to be the biggest enigma known to man ...

Long live the Two-Stroke Laughing

#48:  Author: greggo Location: Melbourne, Australia Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 pm
    —
Andy wrote:If I had the money and the facilities, it would be a 500cc V4. Everything about it is right... from the physical size of the motor, to the power output, which I guess is why it was the premier class for so long.

If you were to build one from scratch using MX barrels as a base, up to 576cc would be available. 160hp would be a realistic goal. Any less would be a waste of effort, much more would become financially unviable.

That sounds a whole lot like experience talking.

Where would one find the cases 2 cranks and balancer for such an experiment?

#49:  Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 am
    —
You won't! And that's where all these dreamers who've come up with these ideas fall flat on their faces every time! There's no easy route to a V4 (or even a 500cc V-twin).

The lastest hair-brained scheme on Facebook is to use RGV250 components to do it! LMFAO The things won't even hold together as a 60hp V2 from the factory, let alone as a 500cc V4 with custom crankcases. They're considering the most badly designed and unreliable "modern" 2-stroke barrels... and talking of over 160hp... dream on lads! Rolling Eyes

Any V4 project would need custom crankcases and custom cranks. You may be able to get away with using off-the-shelf barrels from something... something, anything other than RGV/RS! Basically, as already alluded to, it's totally unviable, unless you're insanely rich or insanely talented with all the time in the world on your hands.

#50:  Author: simono Location: West Midlands Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 pm
    —
Not a lot of love lost there for RGV's Laughing Laughing

#51:  Author: silikesguiness Location: chesterfield Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm
    —
a few of us have owned those bloody things Laughing

#52: RGV`s Author: mydogtaz Location: Doncaster UK Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm
    —
I have owned 2 RGV`s and all they did for me was turn me into a NSR fan.........You can probably tell why..... Rolling Eyes

#53:  Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:56 pm
    —
Don't worry... for my sins I speak from experience too. Wink

#54:  Author: simono Location: West Midlands Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 pm
    —
I've had a couple too Rolling Eyes

#55:  Author: Hobbit210 Location: SOMERSET Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 pm
    —
Me too....me too!!!

When I sold mine the chap told me that he would not be using the motor but would be fitting a 500cc v4 into the frame.... Yeah ok Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

That was 'several' months ago! Yesterday I get a text from him with a picture of my old RGV fitted with the V4 motor nearing completion. Shocked Shocked

I've got to say that, although VERY far from my cup of tea, I've got the utmost respect for him. He had a dream and he is seeing it through.

Mike

#56: The mighty NSR300 Author: ericandchi Location: Texas Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm
    —
I love this thread....I've read it several times and again today. I just realized the last posting was almost 6 years ago.

So I figured I would add to it and stir up the pot. A lot has changed since those early 300s were made. While I did seize mine last summer it was not because of any flaws in the design of the set up...it was my own fault plain and simple. I'm pretty sure had I checked that dang oil reservoir filter after each outing I'd still be running around without issues.

My latest rebuild allowed me to integrate some technology into the bike that I haven't read of anyone doing. My crankshaft now has ceramic hybrid end bearings which I am 100% certain have reduced the friction allowing for more power to the rear wheel. I had put ceramic hybrids in the transmission on my prior rebuild. Although I am running a 300 kit, I am sure the benefits would be seen on a 250. Because of the design of the center bearing it looks to be a challenge to convert it to a ceramic hybrid. But I did notice there is a firm that has built a labyrinth seal for our bikes. Had I seen that before rebuilding my crank, there would have been one in the bike and the center bearing could then have been made into a hybrid ceramic

My point...well, I don't really have one. Just happy to have my bike running again. Smile

#57:  Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm
    —
I believe Matt has one of the new centre bearings on the way from Inoue in Japan to evaluate. It certainly appears to be a fantastic solution to the last weak link of the 89-97 NSRs.

As for TYGA's 300 kit, Matt has unquestionably made huge progress with the reliability of the kit from the early days.

I still prefer a well-built 250 myself though.

#58: Re: 300 kit pros and cons Author: arnoldea Location: California Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:11 pm
    —
Dmitry wrote:I have tired reading though this section but there is no clear information, most posts are 2+ years old, mostly about blown up Kawi pistons.

Having just finished my "stock" R5K restoration I want to move on to something more custom starting with an identical R5K I scavenged for spares. Got enough to build it back up but engine needs service:
crank will be shipped off to Andy for repairs any day now but both barrels have cracks on the exhaust bridges, I expect by the time they are welded, plated and adding cost of new pistons, rings, gaskets, seals... total expense will be approaching the cost of 300 kit.

Any downsides to doing 300 conversion at this point?

This is for a street bike but not for daily use, just to have fun on weekends as I use LC4 Austrian Tractor for daily commute

300 kit will surely give you a good ride. To upgrade yours, you need to spend more than 300 kit. Mine is riding perfectly.

#59: Re: 300 kit pros and cons Author: Andy Location: Devon, UK Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:21 am
    —
arnoldea wrote:
300 kit will surely give you a good ride. To upgrade yours, you need to spend more than 300 kit. Mine is riding perfectly.

Hello "arnoldea", and welcome to NSR-WORLD.COM!

The 300 kit certainly has developed massively since the early days, and has 20 years of development behind it now! I was chatting to Matt about the kit just yesterday, and he's very happy with where it is now.

I still prefer a well-tuned 250, but next time I am in Thailand, I'll be blagging a ride on one of their recently kitted bikes to see how it feels in person.

It will need to be something special to bring a kit home in my luggage though! Wink

NSR250 Forums  -> NSR300 Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
Page 4 of 4